Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -AssetTrainer
SignalHub-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 10:39:55
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have SignalHubagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- A co-founder of the embattled venture capital firm Fearless Fund has stepped down as operating chief
- Masked intruder pleads guilty to 2007 attack on Connecticut arts patron and fake virus threat
- Rep. Lauren Boebert's district-switching gambit hangs over Colorado primary race
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Bill to ensure access to contraception advances in Pennsylvania, aided by dozens of GOP House votes
- Walmart announces ‘largest savings event ever’: What to know about ‘Walmart Deals’
- Selma Blair Turns Heads With Necktie Made of Blonde Braided Hair at Paris Fashion Week
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Bear euthanized after injuring worker at park concession stand in Tennessee
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- 'Bridgerton' author Julia Quinn addresses 'disappointment' over gender-swapped character
- Delaware Senate gives final approval to bill mandating insurance coverage for abortions
- Tesla issues 2 recalls of its Cybertruck, bringing total number to 4
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Gender-neutral baby names are on the rise. Here are the top 10 predictions for 2024.
- Love Blue Bell ice cream? You can vote for your favorite discontinued flavor to return
- Chase Briscoe to take over Martin Truex Jr. car at Joe Gibbs Racing in 2025 NASCAR season
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
2024 Tour de France: How to watch, schedule, odds for cycling's top race
Louisiana’s health secretary taking on new role of state surgeon general
New York Knicks acquiring Mikal Bridges in pricey trade with Brooklyn Nets. Who won?
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Lily Gladstone, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, 485 others invited to join film academy
Rip currents have turned deadly this summer. Here's how to spot them and what to do if you're caught in one.
Selma Blair Turns Heads With Necktie Made of Blonde Braided Hair at Paris Fashion Week